How can mifi users circumvent this SMS crap?

Questions concerning the installation and the configuration of FoxyTag.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

How can mifi users circumvent this SMS crap?

Postby jgombos » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:45 pm

Users who use Novatel's Mifi device to get online, and don't have a cellphone are apparently S.O.L., no?

No sms, no registration, it seems.

I might consider getting an online SMS account just to register, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort, and expense of topping up the SMS account just to send one message. Suppose a mifi user gets an ipipi.com account - will they be assigned a phone number, which can then be used to register with?

Are there any free sms gateways that will give a temporary phone number that will work to get a foxytag account?

This is very frustrating. I was initially impressed with foxytag, until I discovered all the red tape just to get access. The threads show that some users who have SMS capability are sometimes not getting the email response, so I'm thinking it would be foolish to pay for an online SMS and risk it still not working.
jgombos

Re: How can mifi users circumvent this SMS crap?

Postby Foxy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:49 am

jgombos wrote:Are there any free sms gateways that will give a temporary phone number that will work to get a foxytag account?

I hope not! A part of FoxyTag's securtiy is based on that. :wink:

But you could for instance take the phone number from someone that won't use FoxyTag (your kids, someone in your family that is blind...) to register. The only point is that this new number won't be able to register later.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby mkp » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:34 pm

In fact I am using Novatel's Mifi device and had the same problem as jgombos and I really wonder what I should now. Anyway I am going to try the idea of Foxy and use someone else’s phone number to register. I will soon let everyone know the result. I hope that I will succeed.
Last edited by mkp on Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
mkp

Postby jgombos » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:15 pm

mkp wrote:In fact I am using Novatel's Mifi device and had the same problem as jgombos and I really wonder what I should now. Anyway I am going to try the idea of Foxy and use someone else’s phone number to register. I will soon let everyone know the result. I hope that I will succeed.

I was not comfortable asking someone to disclose their mobile number to a commercial entity. The mere thought of it is flawed in principle. So in the end, I stood by my principles, and never registered.
jgombos

Return to Installation and configuration