Energy management

Bugs or suggestions to improve FoxyTag.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

Energy management

Postby Jelle » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:08 pm

I'm thinking about some memory management for FoxyTag. I would like to know what your thoughts are.
Here are mine:
What if I want FoxyTag to be running all the time. The problem is that it will drain the battery that way, doing its gps and internet stuff.
I was thinking, if we are not moving for a while, we might as well turn off internet and gps access.

Triggers to turn off gps or internet:
- not moving
- gps connection lost (out of range of gps device)
- gps fix lost for a while (inside building)
- internet connection lost for a while (gsm out of range)
Of course, there should be some retries after a while, to see if the situation has changed.

A scenario:
- internet connection lost: we'll keep retrying for some minutes, after that we turn off internet connection. Every 10 minutes we'll try again, to see if we can get a connection. If not, we'll turn if off again. Also: as long as we are staying in the area we can keep gps on to show the camera's, but after we leave the area, we'll turn gps off as well, since we have no cam info anyway.
Another one:
- gps fix lost. We'll keep trying for some time, after that we assume we are inside a building or out of range of the gps device. So we turn off the gps connection. We'll turn off internet connection as well, since there is no use for it. Every 10 minutes we'll try to connect to gps again and get a fix.

Any thoughts on these or other scenarios?
Jelle

Postby Foxy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:03 am

Well, I solved these issues by buying a car charger... 8)

More seriously, your suggestions are good, but since it is quite difficult to make the same application running on different devices, I'll try to keep it as simple as possible.
Foxy
Site Admin

Simple = Good

Postby Jelle » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:35 am

Of course, simple is good, we need as many users as possible to get proper tags, so keep FoxyTag working.

But I'm trying to branch off a Symbian 3rd (FP1) version, with some extra interface options.
In case someone is curious, I can show a pre-alpha-version or give some more info on this alternative interface.
Jelle

Return to Bugs and suggestions