Solution without GPS

Bugs or suggestions to improve FoxyTag.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

Solution without GPS

Postby jvetterli » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:11 am

Hello FoxyTag-Team

Just heard about your project today in the radio - great idea!

To be a big success, I think it should work with every cell phone, without using a GPS. Did you ever think about using the Cell-ID to track position?

There are a couple of solutions to track someones cell phone on the market (at least in Germany) who use these informations.

What do you think about it?
jvetterli

Postby Telko » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:05 am

Hi,

First of all, not every country allows Cell-ID tracking, for a very simple reason: privacy.

Ok, now when you heard about that kind of tech in germany, it works with reciprocal agreement between user1 and user2 who can each other see their positions, please give me a hint about how to auto-agree a db with n users ?

Finally, let me introduce you to cell-id location:
Every BTS has a BSC (for handover, base identification, user imei check and so on) but those BSCs are not designed for location. So the precision of Cell-ID location is 250 m in a city, and more than 10 km outsite a city... even 250 m is not acceptable for a speedtrap location! Now you can tell me: But why not use TOA or EOTD... and i'll anwser you: If you have a friend in the board of every major operator company on this little planet, then ask them to place a server for us that can do the location work based on those techs, and transmit the results realtime on our servers.

In one word, GPS is easy, free and precise.
--- FoxyTest Developer ---
Mobiles: SE K750i - Motorola E1000
FoxyTest Team: Telko & Munja
Telko

Return to Bugs and suggestions