5 minute rule

Bugs or suggestions to improve FoxyTag.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

5 minute rule

Postby delta_foxtrot » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:53 am

Ok here's my problem, most carriers in Australia have their networks cover "96% of the population", this tends to confuse a lot of people as what they are saying is we cover 96% of the area where most people live, however the other* 4% is a VERY VERY VERY big area and it's just not useful to get updated data every 5 minutes for large areas of Australia unless you have a satalite phone and then the data charges would send you broke.

Whilst I respect the decision people have made about data freshness and accurate reporting I don't think anyone considered this situation.

* Australia is about the same size almost as the US-48, however 96% of the population only takes up 1/5th to 1/10th of the actual land mass.
delta_foxtrot

Postby Foxy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:47 pm

Yes, perhaps there is a way to do a specific version that would still be compatible with the trust engine, like getting data every hour but getting also data each time a new tag is posted or confirmed by the user. Would need more reflection.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby delta_foxtrot » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Well when I go to my parents place for xmas this year I could very well hit fixed speed cameras (some of which I reported the lat/lon to poilists@fastmail.fm but haven't had a reply and nothing shows up in any requests I've pulled) depending which way I go, I usually take the back roads to avoid the carnage usualy.

However most of the time except for large towns there will be no coverage, there is no issue as far as I see, although if you feel there needs to be more trust checking I understand, however the logic would go something like this, perhaps this is just another profile option, no data connections available! ;)

For example I would be going through some towns and when a data network exists attempt to pull 500km radius (or larger maybe) every 5 minutes or so, if no network exists keep using cached information until an update can be recieved. This would also be useful if/when your DNS/server goes down too I'm guessing. As for sending, send if possible immediately, otherwise buffer in memory/local storage until a data connection exists, tag each record created by the user with the current time stamp in UTC ie no day light savings etc.

Would this be suitable to you?
delta_foxtrot

Postby Foxy » Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:53 pm

Yes.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby delta_foxtrot » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:42 pm

Foxy wrote:Yes.

Also do you know about JSON?

http://www.json.org
delta_foxtrot

Postby Foxy » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:27 pm

No.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby delta_foxtrot » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:11 pm

I thought it was worth while posting a link to Vodafone Australia's coverage map to give you a better idea of what I mean about no coverage in a lot of places ;)

http://maps02.pdslive.com.au/VCATPublic/Kiosk.html

I really don't know why they just didn't do a google mash up, would have looked nicer, and probably been cheaper than paying what ever 3rd party did that.
delta_foxtrot

Postby Foxy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Yes, I see, they are some very little zones that are not covered yet... :wink:
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby delta_foxtrot » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Foxy wrote:Yes, I see, they are some very little zones that are not covered yet... :wink:

Their 2G network is what all the phone companies consider 96% coverage of the population, obviously their 3G coverage is well below even that ;)

Although I just checked and Telstra is claiming 99% population coverage, although I find that hard to believe, they've lied in the past about coverage or at least used the truth colourfully.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/networ ... cation.cfm
delta_foxtrot

Return to Bugs and suggestions