FoxyTag Secrets

Everything that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

FoxyTag Secrets

Postby BlueDragon » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:04 am

Having been using FoxyTag (in between many crashes) for a couple of days I really wondered how the algorithm of the programme calculates following things...

- As FoxTag is advertised to be cooperative and thus not showing all the tags to new people having not demonstrated that they are good "FoxyTagers" how does FoxyTag select which radar will be shown and which not? As a matter of fact many tags where not shown to me though I have good reasons to think that they where already tagged by others. For this reason it seems advisable to have a nice ride in town just to tag some nice green boxes all along the way if ones want to be informed correctly before to have to pay the bill...

- Then I asked myself if I should tag and tag again the (fix) radars which I pass by on my usual journeys in order to increase my trust relationship towards the system?

- And then of course what would be the impact of a tag error (especially the wrong direction or if I am not driving exactly in the green box direction because I am just turning R or L at this crossway) on my trust relationhip, would it be less dramatic if I already tagged a lot of correct information before?

- Does the amount of driven km and or the place influence the system somehow (people driving a lot outside of big town have much less to tag than someone driving in a city like ZH for instance)
BlueDragon

Re: FoxyTag Secrets

Postby Foxy » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:15 am

BlueDragon wrote:As FoxTag is advertised to be cooperative and thus not showing all the tags to new people having not demonstrated that they are good "FoxyTagers" how does FoxyTag select which radar will be shown and which not?

There are several people that misuse the system. A typical case are the owners of the SE W810 that use the same button to signal radars than to listen their music... So there is a bit "noise" in the system. To scope with that, each user creates its own trust relationships with the other users that behave in a similar way. When you cross a tag, you actually check if you already now the author, then you ask your trustworthy friends if they know the author, and so on. Little by little, you create your own trust network and will get more and more reliable information.

BlueDragon wrote:As a matter of fact many tags where not shown to me though I have good reasons to think that they where already tagged by others. For this reason it seems advisable to have a nice ride in town just to tag some nice green boxes all along the way if ones want to be informed correctly before to have to pay the bill...

Correct. Drive, tag and therefore create good trust relationships. FoxyTag is a collaborative system. Works only if user participate. So, that's why "The more you participate, the more reliable your information will be".

BlueDragon wrote:- Then I asked myself if I should tag and tag again the (fix) radars which I pass by on my usual journeys in order to increase my trust relationship towards the system?

I hoped nobody will ask this question until I update the FAQ... Well, since FoxyTag is a test platform, the trust engines are changing (but the trust relationships remain, of course). Currently, and probably also in the future, it is useless to confirm twice the same fix radar.

BlueDragon wrote:- And then of course what would be the impact of a tag error (especially the wrong direction or if I am not driving exactly in the green box direction because I am just turning R or L at this crossway) on my trust relationhip, would it be less dramatic if I already tagged a lot of correct information before?

Your heading can be more or less 45° from the real direction. If you make mistakes, your reputation descreases like in human communities: exponentially, which means also slowly at the beginning. So if you have good trust relationships and you make a mistake, then your reputation will be very very little decreased (and easily rebuild). But if you cumulate mistakes, then you will be soon excluded from the system. My work consists in building a reputation system as close as possible as the human one. So, if you behave normally (most of the time good, and sometimes with mistakes), then you will have a good reputation and get reliable information from the system.

BlueDragon wrote: Does the amount of driven km and or the place influence the system somehow (people driving a lot outside of big town have much less to tag than someone driving in a city like ZH for instance)

No. If you do not drive, or if you do not participate, your trust relationships just stop evolving.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby BlueDragon » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:31 am

When you cross a tag, you actually check if you already now the author, then you ask your trustworthy friends if they know the author, and so on.

When you say "you actually check if you already know the author" I guess you mean that the system compares if I have already common tags with some other users (besides the tag I just passed by). If yes the system would allow me to share my tag pool with the pool from others having similar tags??...

The more I think about it the more I realize that it is really not as simple as one could think at the beginning... (many "think" here 8) ) Of course I understand if you don't want to reveal to many secrets and I encourage you to continue on this way!! :D

So, if you behave normally (most of the time good, and sometimes with mistakes), then you will have a good reputation and get reliable information from the system.

Hmmm, so many times I ask myself what is normal and what is not in our society... :twisted: Are FoxyTagers "normal" people do you think!?!... :lol:

Thanks again for taking the time to answer in detail, much appreciated like your work!! :P
BlueDragon

Postby Foxy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:39 pm

BlueDragon wrote:When you say "you actually check if you already know the author" I guess you mean that the system compares if I have already common tags with some other users (besides the tag I just passed by). If yes the system would allow me to share my tag pool with the pool from others having similar tags??...

More or less, yes.

BlueDragon wrote:The more I think about it the more I realize that it is really not as simple as one could think at the beginning... (many "think" here 8) )

Well, I do a PhD in trust and reputation systems... So it must look like a bit technical 8) :D

BlueDragon wrote:Hmmm, so many times I ask myself what is normal and what is not in our society... :twisted: Are FoxyTagers "normal" people do you think!?!...

It a question of point of view, of course. But since I set the parameters of my trust engines, I can decide that people that behave like me are normal and the others are not. :wink:
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby BlueDragon » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:14 am

But since I set the parameters of my trust engines, I can decide that people that behave like me are normal and the others are not. Wink

Yes indeed, must be a good feeling!! :P

Go on doing it right!
BlueDragon

Return to Miscellaneous