Bandwidth usage / Amout of Data

Everything that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

Bandwidth usage / Amout of Data

Postby Frank » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:52 am

Hi,
I was wondering about the actual amount of data that is being used by foxytag.

I had a look at the FAQ:
- How much cost the connections to the server ?
It depends on your operator and where you drive. Your application connects about every 5 minutes to the server and we estimated an average of €0.21/hour.

What amount of data is being transfered during a hour of e.g. a drive through a city with approx. 40km/h?

This info would be great! :-)

Thanks,
Frank
Frank

Postby Foxy » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:46 pm

Depends on the city, and more precisely on how many speed cameras are there... Usually you download less than 1 ko each 5 minutes.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby jc » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:29 am

Hi,
May be nice if the application could display the amount of downloaded data since application started
jc

Postby Foxy » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:16 am

You will see it on your next bill. :lol:

The problem is that some opeators have a minimum amount at each connection. For instance, Swisscom charges you 10ko at each connection, but a FoxyTag connection downloads usually less than 1ko.

There is no other choice than check it with your operator. Typically, some of them allow you to check your bill on their website.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby Simon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:50 pm

Is that so? The guys at Swisscom tell it differently... They say, that the monthly amount is charched with increments of 10kb, but NOT that everytime a connection starts, 10kb are charged. It's just cumulated and THEN charched in 10kb increments.

But the way how they told me so doesn't get me very trustful.... I waited for about 5 minutes to get the answer.... and the arguments were quite... hm.... I was not sure if they really understood my question.

Foxy: So you know exactly that is IS like this? So this would mean that FoxyTag costs about 10 Rappen every couple of minutes?

btw: Who decides, when a session is opened or closed? If there is no traffic for a certain time, the connection will be closed by the server? Or is it the cellular? Can't it just keep the session active?
Simon

Postby Foxy » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:57 pm

Simon wrote:Is that so? The guys at Swisscom tell it differently... They say, that the monthly amount is charched with increments of 10kb, but NOT that everytime a connection starts, 10kb are charged. It's just cumulated and THEN charched in 10kb increments.

But the way how they told me so doesn't get me very trustful.... I waited for about 5 minutes to get the answer.... and the arguments were quite... hm.... I was not sure if they really understood my question.

Well, they probably understood at least a little bit, since they haven't asked you to contact your phone manufacturer or to reset your phone...

Simon wrote:Foxy: So you know exactly that is IS like this? So this would mean that FoxyTag costs about 10 Rappen every couple of minutes?.

I tested with my operator, Orange, and it works like described by Swisscom. I thing it must be the same for Swisscom.

Simon wrote:btw: Who decides, when a session is opened or closed? If there is no traffic for a certain time, the connection will be closed by the server? Or is it the cellular? Can't it just keep the session active?

Who decides? Good question. I compared my bill with my log file from the FoxyTag server, and it seems that sessions opening/closing is made a bit randomly... FoxyTag is not able to modify it. Like when you browse the web or the wap, each click is a new connection, and it is your operator that decides if it is a new session or not. But since I pay only a few centimes / trip, I do not really care.
Foxy
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous