Radars on French Highways

Interesting information or news about radars. The most relevant ones are put on the website.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

Radars on French Highways

Postby BlueDragon » Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:19 am

Here an information which could be of interest for people (like me) driving (to) fast on french highways:

Pay utmost attention to the cars which are stopped on the rescue lane, it could be a car with some policemen sitting in it!... :? Don't expect to see a flashing light though as they don't need one (anymore) so even if other cars are driving (to) fast in front of yours it will be of no informational value!

I could not detect any laser beam (in front) nor the typical radar waves so I don't know which technique they used and if they shot pictures or not.

You may be able to drive without any disturbance for many km until the next entry point where a police car will be waiting on you passing by... will be following you for some time and finally will pass you over before to invite you nicely to quit the highway at the next available exit. There all will be ready to cash in what is needed and you will feel much lighter after this type of forced stop!... :twisted:

Big problem: Foxytag is of no help nor value it that type of radar control as you will not be aware of the threat at the needed time to push the button... Of course one could drive back later and try to pass by again the same point but it would be much too time and money consuming... :(

All I could imagine as solution would be a way to enter the GPS information (tag) manually based on a map but this will definitely be out of scope until version 25 I guess... Until then the french police will have become much more wealthy. :roll:
BlueDragon

Postby Foxy » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:01 am

You are right, adding manually data is planned for FoxyTag version 25.4.7 :D

However... your remark is very interresting and can be applied in any case where the user needs more time to decide the action to undertake.

So, what about a button that freezes the current position? You press on it when you see an event, and then you have time to decide what action you want to undertake for this given position. Your opinion?
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby BlueDragon » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:13 pm

So, what about a button that freezes the current position? You press on it when you see an event, and then you have time to decide what action you want to undertake for this given position. Your opinion?

Sorry for the late reply but here it is...

In the former case I explained it would very likely be of no use because the interception by a police car happened about at least 5 minutes after the radar place. By tagging temporarily any car on the emergency lane it could in principle be a solution if there are not more than one within the next 10-15 min...

Anyway I have been driving quite a lot abroad (F) this summer and in many cases there are alarms (tags) at places where I could not see any radar threat so I was never sure what to do best: confirm (1), delete (0) or do nothing. Most of the time I did nothing since I could not be sure if I had simply overseen it and I would not want to become a bad tagger because of such mistakes...

Generally speaking it is a fact that in the night or in long highway tunnels it is very difficult to know wether the tag is realiable or not. Often if at all I will be ready to push the button only after the place has been past (according to the red spot) so in that situation it would be to late to delete or confirm at the accurate place. Besides it is of course difficult to have a eye on the red spot and at the same time scanning around for the radar without driving out of the road... :shock:

Nevertheless FoxyTag served me well for some fix radars on the national roads in F where there was no prior information... and of course between GE and Lausanne where I could speed up in between middle in the night... :D

Keep on doing this good work guys!! (NB: Last Version has become much less buggy than previous one on my Nokia 6230i and the night button (9) is very handy, well done!!)
BlueDragon

Postby Foxy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:38 am

BlueDragon wrote:... in many cases there are alarms (tags) at places where I could not see any radar threat so I was never sure what to do best: confirm (1), delete (0) or do nothing.

- If you are not sure: do nothing.
- If there is no speed camera: press "0" (it could be a mistake, spam, or an old tag).

BlueDragon wrote:Most of the time I did nothing since I could not be sure if I had simply overseen it and I would not want to become a bad tagger because of such mistakes...

Good idea.

BlueDragon wrote:Generally speaking it is a fact that in the night or in long highway tunnels it is very difficult to know wether the tag is realiable or not. Often if at all I will be ready to push the button only after the place has been past (according to the red spot) so in that situation it would be to late to delete or confirm at the accurate place. Besides it is of course difficult to have a eye on the red spot and at the same time scanning around for the radar without driving out of the road... :shock:

Do it simple: If you see a speed camera, just press "1" (or "2" for a mobile one) when you cross it (even in tunnels, since the last good position is automatically recorded). If you get an alarm but do not see the SC, wait until the red point is in the center of the screen and press "0". If you are not sure or if you have no time to check the road and watch the screen in a safe way, do nothing. Anyway, remember that it is useless to confirm twice the same tag. So if you miss something because you drive at night, correct it the next time you drive the same road but by day. :wink:
Foxy
Site Admin

Return to Radars news