GPS and Blackberry

Questions concerning the use of FoxyTag.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

GPS and Blackberry

Postby gutguy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Hi,
I've successfully installed the application on my blackberyy 8800 which has an integrated gps.
It works but i find that the gps data takes time to refresh (nearly 30 seconds perhaps) so the alarm goes off to late and sometimes the trap isn't even shown. Like i said i think this depends on the fact that the gps data isn't refreshed enough, i've even tried to play the demo and the red dot moves much more faster than the one displayed on my blackberry. Where do i set the gps refresh time?
Thanks for any kind reply.
gutguy

Postby Foxy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:57 pm

Good question... But I do not have a BlackBerry, so ask http://foxytag.blog.de/ who should have the answer.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby gutguy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:30 pm

Foxy wrote:Good question... But I do not have a BlackBerry, so ask http://foxytag.blog.de/ who should have the answer.

Thanks for the reply. I've done many tests (there's a speed trap near my office) and I've figured out that incresing the radius value gives the change of catching tha speed trap much better than the other values, if you could increase even more this value (more than 1200) if think we could solve the blackberry issue. The only thing i can't understand is why my foxytag doesn't always give off the alarm although the speed trap is correctly reaveled and displayed.
gutguy

Postby Foxy » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:42 pm

And what do http://foxytag.blog.de/ and the other BB owners say about that???
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby gutguy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:16 pm

Foxy wrote:And what do http://foxytag.blog.de/ and the other BB owners say about that???

I'don't know because nobady as replied yet!
My first question (regarding the gps refresh time) was obviously refered in your program not in the blackberry device in general.
Anyways, if you could provide a beta version with the radius value higher than 1200 i could try it and let you know my experencies and that would be great, if not thank you indeed for developing such a useful application for free!
gutguy

Postby Foxy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:39 pm

FoxyTag asks data to the GPS every second. So the fact that you get the real information with a delay means that there is a hardware problem somewhere. If I've had such a device I could perhaps solve it, but I don't :cry:

Increasing the radius is quite dangrous, since we have no idea of how much (since the refresh delay varies between the devices, and also probably with the time since it seems to be a buffering problem). I would really need to investigate the problem more deeply to find a correct solution.

@everybody: Does everyone has the same problems as gutguy???
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby gutguy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Hi again,
Sorry for my insistence.
So i've figured out that that having the radius value to 1200 is ok anyway but the other thing i've noticed is that however the speed trap is always revealed and the red dot is displyed first in the outer circler and than in the inner ones, not always the alarm is given off despite the fact like i said that the speed trap is correcly displayed. I've tride puzzling around with the alarm value but it doesen't make much differences. When should the alarm go off, when the red dot reaches the most outer circle?

thanks again.

Foxy wrote:FoxyTag asks data to the GPS every second. So the fact that you get the real information with a delay means that there is a hardware problem somewhere. If I've had such a device I could perhaps solve it, but I don't :cry:

Increasing the radius is quite dangrous, since we have no idea of how much (since the refresh delay varies between the devices, and also probably with the time since it seems to be a buffering problem). I would really need to investigate the problem more deeply to find a correct solution.

@everybody: Does everyone has the same problems as gutguy???
gutguy

Postby Foxy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:09 pm

The alarm just lasts a few seconds and then stops automatically. It is launched 15 seconds (or according to your parameters) before you cross the speed camera, so 15 seconds before the red point reaches the center of the screen.
Foxy
Site Admin

Postby gutguy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:49 am

Foxy wrote:The alarm just lasts a few seconds and then stops automatically. It is launched 15 seconds (or according to your parameters) before you cross the speed camera, so 15 seconds before the red point reaches the center of the screen.

So if I set the alarm delay value to 30 secs it means that the alarm is launched 30 secs before I cross the speed camera, right?
In this case, as soon as the red dot is displayed (even if it hasen't reach the center yet) shouldn't the alarm be launched, or it needs to reach the center indeed? Why do you think this doesen't always happen in my case? Is there something wrong maybe with my settings?
Thanks for any kind reply.
Sorry for my insistence, but i can't figure out why the alarm isn't launched even if the red dot is displayed!
gutguy

Postby shaban » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:04 am

Hum it's complicated my guess is that your blackberry model experience some problem with the application. We'll look with the developer of blackberry version knows about the issue. Can you give me the URL of your non answered the topic in http://foxytag.blog.de ?
shaban

Postby reginaliya » Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:37 am

How do the GPS capabilities of new mobile phones compare to the GPS models by Garmin, TomTom, etc? For example, compared to the Garmin Nuvi series, or something similar. Is it like comparing apples to oranges?
Can some phones be used as car navigation? How good are they at pedestrian navigation? I'm considering buying a GPS, probably a Garmin Nuvi 750, but if my next cell phone might fulfill the same duties, maybe I won't. Thanks for any information or advice!
Last edited by reginaliya on Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
reginaliya

Postby Foxy » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:10 pm

Buy a mobile phone with integrated GPS:
- You have it always with you
- There are lots applications, for free, with maps and driving instructions (like amAzegps.com)
- You can use FoxyTag...

Garmin and Co WAS nice, but now it is a bit AS BEEN since many of the new mobile phones integrate a GPS.
Foxy
Site Admin

Return to Utilization