Flood of "omnidirectional" speed traps

Questions concerning the use of FoxyTag.

Moderators: Angelo, shaban, knut

Flood of "omnidirectional" speed traps

Postby AndreK » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:01 pm

Hello guys!

First of all, I would like to congratulate everyone in the FoxyTag team, as I am a long time user and find this project very exciting...

My only problem is: a few months ago the area I'm in (São Paulo state, Brazil) was flooded with "omnidirectional" speed trap locations that are not very accurate and result in a LOT of false alerts...

Unlike other similar solutions like POIs in GPS units from Garmin, TomTom, etc... FoxyTag always had the big advantage of alerting only when on the same direction of the marked speed trap, and that adds a lot of reliability...

Some of this "omnidirectional" speed trap locations are so far off main roads and highways it is either not possible or extremely time consuming to unmark (0) them, yet they are close enough to the edges of the radar cone to give false alerts...

So the question I really wanted to ask is: Why flood the server with unreliable, non-directional speed trap locations, and not through the usual way via FoxyTag users? (I'm assuming this was done with the consent of FoxyTag admin, staff, etc...)

I think the whole idea of a colaborative system implies in data sent from the users and the interactions between them... Brazil already has too few users, and unriliable data to me seems only to disencourage FoxyTag adoption by new users...

The roads I travel and use FoxyTag mainly have only my tags... So it feels like an overwelming task to correct these hundreds or thousands of non-directional speed trap locations and have the reliable speed trap alerts again... :(

Is there anything that can be done about this?
AndreK

Postby Foxy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:16 pm

Hi AndreK,

Thank you very much for your remarks. Yes FoxyTag exchanges data with some partners in order to fill the database with "initial" data. Would you mind please to send at admin@foxy... your username and password, so we'll check the speed cams you've started to delete in order to find out who is the bad data provider... For security reasons we will probably have to ask you some other questions, but in exchange we are going to clean your area. :wink:
Foxy
Site Admin

Return to Utilization